Monday, February 25, 2008

Oscar Oscar Oscar

Host Jon Stewart was safe, and probably handcuffed by the fact he didn't have his full complement of writers due to the Writer's Strike. Probably also explains his dearth of laugh-out-loud one-liners. He wasn't Billy Crystal but didn't careen into David Letterman territory either. Ho hum.

Note to all presenters: Refrain from talking directly to Jack Nicholson from the podium. It's irritating and besides he isn't mic'ed. Krist.

I usually dig the song performances in the Oscars. A few years ago, "Blame Canada" from SouthPark stole the show and I believe two years ago, Couting Crows brought down the house with "Accidentally in Love" from Shrek 2. And last night, to have three songs from "Enchanted" I thought was really retarded. And it didn't win. Although Amy Adams was good for her part.

I didn't see Javier Bardem in No Country For Old Men. Mr. Flavor of the Moment had the Oscar all wrapped up by early January. Krist. Tom Wilkinson for Michael Clayton was outstanding in his role. My sentimental favorite was Hal Holbrooke. Alas. Both lost. Is it just me or do Joel and Ethan Coen remind you of two nerds that even I could intimidate physically? They look like two creepy looking orthodontists.

I love during the Oscars a look at who died since the last Oscars. A lot of heavyweights kicked off in the last year. Deborah Kerr; Ingmar Bergman. Oh, and speaking of Flavor of the Moment, Heath Ledger was pictured last. Probably because they go chronologically. But his applause was noted. It's ironic to be in the same vignette as Bergman because that guy barely filled up his 15 minutes.

How hot is Anne Hathaway? Man. And Jessica Alba. And Scarlett. I'm not gay but I like Clooney. He's got something to say. I'm still fuming that David Straithairn (Good Night and Good Luck) got robbed by Phillip Seymour Hoffman (in Capote).

1 comment:

skomski said...

Ahhhh, hmmm. such a critic.