Monday, January 18, 2010

Leno Addresses Late Night Fiasco

On last night's Jay Leno Show, Jay used the post monologue segment to weigh in on the late night fiasco. Leno explained to the viewing audience his side of the story going back to the 2004 decision to give the Tonight Show to Conan. His candor was admirable and seemed genuinely concerned with the well-being of 175 people who work with him. More important, he acknowledged his low ratings. "Look, where I come from, when you don't get the ratings, you are humbled."

Leno also explained that he didn't want to do the half-hour show at 11:35 (Leading to Conan's Tonight Show) He followed with this:

"I asked NBC if I could get out of my contract and they said no...and that I was too big an asset to lose. How big an asset can I be if you fired me twice?" Great line.

Leno went on to say that he holds no animosity against O'Brien, but threw this zinger David Letterman's way: "Remember the good ol days when the biggest thing was figuring out which intern the host was nailing??

No comments: