Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Conan's Classy Last Words

Conan's Classy Last Words...

Those expecting a tear-jearker for Conan O'Brien's final Tonight Show were likely disappointed. Though the show didn't rival Carson's 1992 tear-jerker ("I bid you a very fond good night.") , it was heartfelt. I loved all the bits (Steve Carell doing an exit interview, Tom Hanks, beluga caviar sprayed on a Picasso) save for Will Ferrell's forced bit at the end. Was it me or did the bit seem like a ripoff of Jim Carrey's "Jim Morrison" impersonation at the Video Music Awards?

At 12:20 am, Conan's final words were these:

"There has been a lot of speculation in the press about what I legally can and can't say about NBC," he said. "To set the record straight, tonight I am allowed to say anything I want. And what I want to say is this: Between my time at 'Saturday Night Live,' 'The Late Night' show and my brief run here on the 'Tonight Show,' I have worked with NBC for over 20 years. . . . This company has been my home for most of my adult life. I am enormously proud of the work we have done together, and I want to thank NBC for making it all possible."

"All I ask of you, especially young people . . . is one thing. Please don't be cynical," O'Brien said. "I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you, amazing things will happen."

Neil Young sang it best: Long may you run. Long may you run.

No comments: