Friday, November 21, 2008

What I Learned Friday

A summary of the week that was.....

Mike Mussina retired this week. He can go into my Hall of Fame anytime. Two things about Mussina: Moose relieved in Game 7 2003 and held the Red Sox at bay in the middle innings and made the Yankee comeback possible. He was also the starter and winner in the Jeter “flip” game in 2001 where the Yankees, down 0-2, came back and beat Oakland three straight in the ALDS.

Speaking of Mussina, WFAN’s Mike Francesa said that “nobody” retires off of a 20-win season. It’s not that Francesa isn’t allowed to be wrong, that can happen to anyone. It’s the ironclad, written-in-stone, can’t happen, won’t happen way in which he says it.

Gas is down below $2 at my Costco. So why was it costing me twice that this summer? Was it a supply and demand issue? Did people stop driving and I missed it? Greedy bastards.

I have a lot for which to be thankful. Trading Marion Barber for oft-injured Willie Parker in my fantasy football league does not qualify as one of them. As a fantasy owner, I’m as imperious as Steinbrenner.

So my 401k is down 40%. Why do I care? It’s not like I need the money tomorrow. But if you’re within five years of retirement, I feel for you.

I used to cover the marketing space as a reporter when Robert Nardelli ran Home Depot before he was thrown out. Now Nardelli’s in the big boy seat at Chrysler. Don’t stand next to him in a rainstorm.

Speaking of Ford….Michigan representative John Dingell (D) before losing the House Energy and Commerce chair this week, was a big proponent of bailing out the auto industry. Wel-intentioned, right? How many of you know that Dingell’s wife is a Ford exec? Memo to Dingell: Leave your ID badge with the security guard.

No comments: