Friday, October 17, 2008

Some thoughts on SNL Thursdays...

I'm not sure I caught a representative sampling of the SNL Thursday edition, perhaps Tina Fey's Sarah Palin was not on it. Whatever the case, last night's episode sucked. Don't get me wrong: I wanted to love it. It airs right after The Office so I'm already pre-programmed to laugh. Last night, the jokes were plentiful as reliable Tampa Rays relievers.

The opening skit revolved around the previous night's Obama McCain debate from Hofstra. SNL's McCain was passable getting off a few "Joe the Plumber" lines (BTW, I'm already sick of Joe from Ohio) but that was about it. The skit went on twice as long as needed--often an SNL pitfall.

Weekend Update's Seth Myers has the Jimmy Fallon role. And Myers flubbed so many lines it was painful. Maybe it's live television. But he seemed a bit nervous if that's possible. Amy Poehler, on the other hand, was strong on her lines, particularly in the segment, "Stuff we liked."

She, however, was not enough to save this steaming pile of dung purporting itself to be political comedy.

No comments: